Sport plays a pivotal part of South African culture. As a nation we participate in a wide variety of sports and passionately support our national teams.
South Africa’s wonderful climate offers players and spectators a year-round opportunity to enjoy the sport of his or her choice, whether it is on the field or on the sofa.
South Africa has spectacular golf courses and by international standards, membership to clubs and green fees are inexpensive, making golf a very popular and accessible sport for both locals and expatriates. Johannesburg and its surrounds have many beautiful and accessible courses. To mention a few:
- The Royal Johannesburg – https://www.royaljk.za.com/
- Johannesburg Country Club – http://thecountryclub.co.za/
- Glendower Golf Club – https://www.glendower.co.za/
- Bryanston Country Club – http://www.bryanstoncc.co.za/
- Dainfern Country Club – http://www.dainfern.co.za/
- Parkview Golf Club – http://www.parkviewgolf.co.za/en/
- Sun City – an hour and a half from Sandton. Central reservations: www.suninternational.com or 011 780 7800
Golf Info and Booking Line (GIB) provides an efficient, hassle-free booking service and has access to 30 golf courses in and around Johannesburg. Tel: 011 706 6869. www.sagolfing.com
World of Golf is a state-of-the-art practice facility in Woodmead, offering: driving, putting, chipping and bunker practice facilities, target tees for the long game, and a short 9-hole golf course. Tel: 011 802 5864 or www.golfersworld.co.za.
- The Royal Cape – https://www.royalcapegolf.co.za/
- Steenberg Golf Estate – http://www.steenberggolfclub.co.za/
- Metropolitan Golf Club – http://www.metropolitangolfclub.co.za/
- Erinvale, Somerset West – https://erinvale.co.za/
- Vodacom Golf Village in Somerset West: website www.prorange.co.za.
Health clubs and gyms
- Virgin Active http://www.virginactive.co.za
- Planet Fitness https://www.planetfitness.co.za/
- Viva Gym https://vivagym.co.za/
- Go Health http://www.gohealthclub.co.za/
- Just Gym http://www.justgym.co.za/
In addition, there are a number of specialist fitness centres that have personal trainers and which specialise in various fitness regimes, e.g. Spinning, pilates, yoga, boxing etc.
In addition to golf and health clubs, there are: Cricket, hockey, rugby, dancing, swimming, soccer and tennis clubs that welcome new members.
Other popular sporting / outdoor activities
You can pursue pretty much any sport you wish to in South Africa – far too many for us to be able to detail in this guide. Your nearest country club or gym is a good source of information for clubs you can join – hiking, running, mountain biking, scuba diving, sailing, windsurfing, tennis, squash etc.